Your home is your sanctuary, and you always want to be sure the air you are breathing is free of any toxins, like carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, this poisonous gas can leak into your home from several appliances, including your fireplace, furnace, and water heater, if they are not installed and vented properly. To be sure that your home is safe from these hazards, you should give us a call at All American Chimney Service. Our qualified and experienced technicians can inspect all of these appliances to see if there are any installation errors that could allow carbon monoxide or other toxic gases to enter your home. We would like to tell you more about why it is so important to improve the air quality in your home.How to Improve Your Home’s Air Quality - Louisville KY - All American

How can carbon monoxide leak into my home from my water heater or my furnace?

Listed as common sources of this poisonous gas, your water heater and furnace can produce increased levels of carbon monoxide that can enter your home if they have been improperly installed or vented, according to the safety awareness site, Carbon Monoxide Kills. What makes this potential situation so dangerous is that carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless, and tasteless, so there are no warning signs that the air quality in your home is toxic, which increases the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

When carbon monoxide enters your bloodstream, the initial symptoms include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and breathing difficulties. Since these symptoms are identical to those of the flu and the common cold, it can be difficult to diagnose this ailment. Because of the previously mentioned lack of warning signs in your home, you could continue breathing this toxic gas until you become seriously ill and even possibly die. If you are still suffering from cold and flu-like symptoms after two weeks, you should ask your doctor to test your blood for carbon monoxide levels.

How can I stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning in my home?

To avoid this possible danger, it is strongly recommended that all combustion types of appliances, such as fireplaces, furnaces, and water heaters be professionally installed and routinely serviced by qualified professionals to ensure they are properly vented. You should also read your owners manuals carefully and follow the manufacturers’ instructions to safely operate these appliances. All American Chimney Service advises every customer to install carbon monoxide detector alarms throughout their homes as an added safety precaution.

All American Chimney Service can improve the air quality in your home with our professional maintenance and repair services. Contact us today to schedule your appointment for an inspection of the combustion appliances in your home to avoid the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.